Edinburgh World Heritage - City Chambers

City Chambers

The City Chambers were originally built in 1753 as the Royal Exchange, a place of business for the city’s merchants. It was the first real sign of the council’s intention to improve the city, who employed John and Robert Adam to draw up the plans.

It was never popular with the city’s merchants who, "...stand in the open from force of custom, rather than move a few yards to an Exchange that stands empty on one side." Humphry Clinker by Tobias Smollett, 1771.

‹ Return to Trail Map


© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

Website by Urwin Digital