Conservation Funding Programme
Edinburgh World Heritage administers a Conservation Funding Programme to help property owners within the site conserve their historic building.
Two types of funding are available:
For private owners and commercial buildings.
For public, community or charitable organisations.
Our grant priorities are:-
1. Routes - Historic buildings and public spaces on major routes through the World Heritage Site such as Leith Walk, London Road, South Bridge, Lothian Road & Shandwick Place.
2. Need - Historic buildings in particular need of repair throughout the World Heritage Site.
3. Regeneration - Support for targeted neighbourhoods to help improve their environment through conservation.
To find out more about the grant priorities download our grants leaflet (PDF | 1.86MB)
Download the application forms
Whatever type of grant you are applying for, you will be required to appoint an appropriately qualified and conservation accredited professional adviser.
Applicants must complete an application form, and if successful will then be invited to prepare a Conservation Statement. The Conservation Statement will set out how the proposals will conserve and enhance the World Heritage Site, and explain who will benefit from the works.
The following criteria will also be used to help assess and prioritise applications:
- architectural merit
- historic interest
- townscape value
- evidence of risk to the property or historic environment
- urgency of work required
- threat to Site’s Outstanding Universal Values
- compliance with policies and objectives in the EWH Site Management Plan and Action Plan
- improvements to economic and social conditions
- overall financial viability of the project
- financial need for grant demonstrated
- public realm work of historic significance
- sustainability of development
The kind of work we do not fund within a Conservation Scheme:
- routine maintenance and minor repairs
- alterations and private interior work
- upgrading of services
- underground drainage
- stone cleaning
- work already under way
Stone cleaning may damage stone and is therefore not acceptable to EWH. The removal of paint from stonework, where appropriate and by an approved method, may however be eligible for grant. For further information contact the City of Edinburgh Council Listed Buildings team tel. 0131 529 3989.