Edinburgh World Heritage - James Court

James Court

James Court was a new development of four tenement blocks arranged around a square, built by James Brownhill in 1727. Each house was contained to one floor, and designed to be identical to those above and below. This was a new style of design, which made buildings much cheaper and easier to construct.

The flats in James Court were more spacious, light and airy than traditional tenements, and so more expensive. James Brownhill held parties and balls to attract potential dwellers. Initially, James Court was the home of professionals, merchants and gentry. Many historic figures lived within its walls, including philosopher and historian David Hume and author James Boswell.

‹ Return to Trail Map


© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

Website by Urwin Digital