Edinburgh World Heritage - Canongate Kirkyard

 

Canongate Kirkyard


The graveyard of the ‘Royal Kirk’ was established in 1687. Distinguished persons buried at the site include the economist Adam Smith and the poet Robert Fergusson. In 1953, the mercat cross was relocated to within the Kirkyard’s boundaries. The Kirkyard contains approximately 352 headstones, monuments, tombs, andother structures.

The graveyard is important for the contribution it makes to the greening of distant views in the Old Town and for retaining an impression of how the Canongate may have looked when it was first developed. The kirkyard is a key element within a group of buildings that survive as the historic core of the former Canongate Burgh.

 

Download a documentary survey of the history and development of Canongate Kirkyard (PDF | 417 KB)

 

 

 

 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Publications

EWH Historic Home Guides, Annual Reviews and the World Heritage Site Management Plan available for download.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital