New Calton Burying Ground
New Calton was established in 1817 and was also founded by the Incorporated Trades of Calton. The site is important because it is a precursor to the introduction of the Victorian cemetery. It is a well-designed landscape with distinctive terraces and a striking south-facing slope affording outstanding views over the Scottish Parliament, Palace of Holyroodhouse and Holyrood Park.
The burial ground contains approximately 1,000 headstones, monuments, tombs and other structures of high quality spanning the 18th and 19th centuries, including a watchtower.