Edinburgh World Heritage - Old Calton Burying Ground

 

Old Calton Burying Ground

This site is unusual as it was not established by an ecclesiastical body, but by the Incorporated Trades of Calton. Laid out in 1718, the graveyard was later divided in two by the construction of Waterloo Place in 1817. Its resulting layout in two parts, is highly significant as evidence of the development of the New Town and Calton Hill area.

The burial ground contains approximately 412 headstones, monuments, tombs and other structures dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. These are of exceptional quality, including three nationally important monuments; the Lincoln Statue, Martyr’s Monument and Hume’s Mausoleum. The site contains several 18th century headstones with well-executed trade and mortality carvings.

Download a documentary survey of the history and development of Calton Old Burial Ground (PDF | 404 KB)

 

 

 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Publications

EWH Historic Home Guides, Annual Reviews and the World Heritage Site Management Plan available for download.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital