Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

EWH help create ‘a haven of peace in the city centre’

Bishop of Edinburgh rededicates graveyard as “Peace Garden’.


Nov 29, 2010

St John the Evangelist Church in Princes Street has successfully completed a project to conserve and enhance its historic graveyard, with help from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Edinburgh World Heritage.

To celebrate the completion of the work, the graveyard was rededicated as a ‘Peace Garden’ by the Right Rev.Brian Smith, Bishop of Edinburgh on October 21. Angus Mitchell who championed the project, unveiled a new interpretation panel as part of the event.

The EWH grant of £7,000 supported the conservation of 30 memorials and part of the walls of the historic graveyard. As part of the project a teachers’ pack has also been produced. its quiet enclosed space would making it a great place to study the Victorian period, and particularly its cultural links around the globe.

The graveyard has many important memorials including:

Anne Rutherford 1739-1819
Mother of Sir Walter Scott.

Malvina Wells 1805-1882
Born a slave in the Caribbean, and died in Edinburgh a servant to the Maclean family.

Sir Henry Raeburn 1756-1823
Raeburn was the leading portrait painter of his day. Educated at Heriot’s, trained in Rome, his studio was in York Place.

Professor Peter Tait 1831-1901
Researcher in Natural Philosophy (physics), he studied the flight of golf balls: and his son later became a champion!

 



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital