Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

Gardner's Crescent hopes to bloom again

An EWH grant is helping the Friends of Gardner’s Crescent restore a community garden.


May 31, 2011

The garden is situated at the centre of the historical crescent between one of Edinburgh’s finest Georgian terraces and Rosebank Cottages and Rosemout buildings, notable examples of 19th century model housing. Laid out in 1822, it has long provided an oasis of calm amidst the hustle of the surrounding business district.

The Friends of Gardner’s Crescent were formed in July 2006, following work to power cables underneath the garden. Scottish Power committed to significant remedial work, but the Friends decided to be more ambitious and try to restore the authenticity and character of the original design.

Now with backing from Edinburgh World Heritage, Scottish Power, Miller Homes and the City of Edinburgh Council, the gardens are gradually being transformed.

The objective is to erect new railings and gateways based on remnants of the originals, along with landscaping, the planting of trees, shrubs and flowers, new lighting and the installation of park benches and refuse receptacles.

Another key element will be the replacement of the footpath connecting the two gateway openings with more appropriate paving of a narrower width in keeping with the scale, character and use of the garden.   The blossoms of the flowering cherry trees are an attractive and important feature of the spring garden.

The Friends of Gardner’s Crescent are still fundraising and If you would like to donate please contact EWH.

History
A feuing plan of 1822 shows the original design for the garden: a symmetrically placed circular lawn, echoing the shape of the crescent itself.    A less formal arrangement with pathways and corner flower beds seems to have prevailed.  The garden was once surrounded by cast iron railings but these were removed from the garden's retaining wall to help the Second World War effort and were not replaced.   A remnant of the original railings is situated at the south end of the garden and has provided valuable guidance for the restoration plans.



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital