Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

Conservation Update

EWH has awarded grants for repairs in the Old Town.


Aug 12, 2011

EWH has awarded a grant for repairs at 15 Johnston Terrace, a category B listed building first opened in 1845 and now better known as the Castle Rock Hostel. The building was designed in an ‘Old Flemish’ style, taking much inspiration from the nearby Heriot’s Hospital. The grant of £91,743 will contribute towards repairs to the roof, chimneys and architectural features.

The building was opened in 19 May 1845 as the ‘Demonstrative School for Higher Education Institute’, run by the Church of Scotland to teach local poor children and to train teachers. In 1908 the building became a training college for male teachers, but as the number of students increased, new accommodation had to found and it was sold the council. It became known as the Public Health Chambers, with offices for the sanitary inspector, maternity and child welfare departments.

Another project at 58-64 Candlemaker Row has seen improvements to a category B listed building, which backs on to Greyfriar’s Kirkyard. Here a gable chimney stack had been repaired cheaply some years ago in brick and render, and the supporting stonework had begun to erode and crumble. With a grant of £5,338 from EWH the chimney has been re-built in stone, using buildings in nearby Merchant Street as an example.



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital