Edinburgh World Heritage

34 - 38 York Place

Over 200 years this has been home to the great and good of Edinburgh society and Scottish Institutions.

ThePlace includes No’s 34 – 38 York Place, three grand town houses built as part of Edinburgh’s New Town between 1800 – 1804.

Georgian town houses of this size were not just home to wealthy families of course, as their lifestyle needed an army of servant. A good example is the census return for No.36 in 1841, which shows it was the home of Sir Charles Hastings and his three daughters, along with five servants from housemaid Margaret Baird to footman George Watson.

In the 1830s No.38 was the home of John Lizars, an eminent Edinburgh surgeon. His books on the human body became standard texts for students, but unfortunately little attention was paid to his far-sighted work ‘The Use and Abuse of Tobacco’, which warned of its many dangers.

After a lifetime of adventures, Major-General Edward Broughton died at No.36 on Christmas Day 1828. As a young man in 1777 he had joined the Bengal army, and fought his way throughout India becoming a Lieutenant Colonel in 1805. He ended his career as Lieutenant Governor of the island of St Helena, and in 1813 finally retired and returned to Britain after 36 years abroad.

‹ Return to List