Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

Tales of the Month

Monthly tales from the city's archives


Jan 12, 2012

It could be argued that the town council’s commitment to promoting tourism dates back to the fifteenth century as the bond described below would no doubt have led to increased numbers of religious pilgrims!

According to the Burgh records, on 11 January 1455, a bond by the provost, bailies, council and community of Edinburgh was made to mark a gift from the deceased William Prestoun of Goirtoun who:

‘had at great cost and trouble procured the arm bone of St Giles, and had left the same without condition to the Kirk of St Giles of Edinburgh’.

They undertook:

‘within six or seven years to build an aisle outside of Our Lady’s aisle, with a monument and an altar; that whensover the relic should be borne, the nearest in blood to the deceased should bear it before all others’.

EWH are grateful for permission to use this extract from “The Edinburgh Book of Days” by Michael T.R.B. Turnbull, published by The History Press.
http://bit.ly/nxNKIh  (www.thehistorypress.co.uk)

Another tale from Edinburgh’s archives will appear later in January.



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital