Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

Conservation Update

Latest on projects to restore a community garden at Gardner's Crescent and a Victorian shopfront on Nicolson Street.


Jan 24, 2012

The restoration of a Victorian shop in Nicolson Street is now nearing completion, with half of the shopfront now re-painted in its original colours.

The property is a category C (s) listed building, purpose-built in 1899 as multi-floored shop premises and currently used as a Poundsavers Store. In 2009 the first stage of the project saw repairs to the stonework and roof, and conservation of the sculptures decorating the roof. The building has also retained its original open plan interior and decoration, including cast iron columns and ornate plastered ceilings.

As well as returning the shopfront to its original colours, cast iron architectural details have been restored. Work has also started on repairing the decorative stonework surrounding the windows, using Hazeldean sandstone as the best possible match.

The project to restore the garden at Gardner’s Crescent is progressing well. The garden was established in 1822 is situated at the centre of the historical crescent, between one of Edinburgh’s finest Georgian terraces and Rosebank Cottages and Rosemout buildings, notable examples of 19th century model housing. Local residents formed a friends group following work to power cables underneath the garden, with the aim of restoring the authenticity and character of the original design.

Using a grant from EWH, new stone gate piers have been re-instated, and iron railings are being fabricated at Laing’s Foundry, using a traditional mixture of cast and wrought iron. Wrought iron is no longer produced so recycled material will be used, supplied by specialist firm Chris Topp & Co.

Project Architect Ian Riddell said: "The works are being undertaken for the local community group the ‘Friends of Gardner’s Crescent’. The first phase involving the conservation and repair of the stone boundary wall was completed last year. Subsequent phases to complete the garden would involve new paving, planting and the installation of cast and wrought iron gates.



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital