Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

Tales of the Month

Monthly tales from the city's archives.


Apr 19, 2012


It seems that Council concern about the nature of retail outlets on the Royal Mile is not a new issue.

The Records of the Burgh of Edinburgh (1403-1680) reveal that on 28 April 1624:

‘The Council stated that many and varied complaints had been made by the merchant booth-keepers of the burgh against the portable stall-holders (kramers) over the frequent selling of all trimmings, lawn and cambric, and such decorative haberdashery that was offered for sale in the stalls, items that were licensed for sale only by the guild members in their booths. The Dean of Guild was ordered to go to the kramers and warn them to stop or be subject to serious consequences’.


EWH are grateful for permission to use this extract from “The Edinburgh Book of Days” by Michael T.R.B. Turnbull, published by The History Press.
http://bit.ly/nxNKIh  (www.thehistorypress.co.uk)

More tales from Edinburgh’s archives will appear in May.



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital