Edinburgh World Heritage

The Bow Well

In 1674 the city’s got its first piped water supply, with wells like this designed by the King’s Master Mason Robert Mylne…

The system worked by gravity, with water from Comiston Springs on the south side of the city and flowed to a large cistern higher up near the High Street. The water then flowed in pipes made of elm down the High Street and here to the Bow Well.

The work involved Sir William Bruce (architect of Holyrood Palace), George Sinclair as surveyor, Peter Brauss, a German engineer who made the lead pipe-work, and Robert Mylne, the King’s Master Mason who built the well-heads.

Story hosted by: Golden Hare bookshop www.grassmarket.net

‹ Return to List