Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

Creating new green space in the city’s West End

The grounds surrounding St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral are set to be improved with help from EWH.


Aug 27, 2013

The cathedral was designed by famous architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, and built between 1874-1917. Its three spires form a key part of the city’s skyline, but the grounds of the cathedral are in need of some improvements.

The work is planned in two phases, with the first focused on the north west corner of the grounds. Here an area of tarmac will be grassed-over, landscaped and opened up as publicly accessible green space at the heart of the West End.

The project will also see new entrances created from Chester Street, a new path layout, boundary trees managed and underplanted and a new retaining wall built to create a level lawn. Phase 2 is planned to focus on landscape improvements to the south side of the cathedral. So far £191,648 has been raised from NHS Lothian, WREN, the Scottish Government’s People and Communities Fund, private trusts and individuals.

EWH has offered a grant of £27,339 to enable the repair and refurbishment of the original cast-iron railings and reinstate a stone pillar terminating the railings at the West Door of the cathedral.

Adam Wilkinson, Director of Edinburgh World Heritage said: “We are thrilled at these proposals to give the cathedral a setting it deserves, of a carefully designed landscape, open to all."



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital