Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

EWH Grant for Community Centre

EWH has awarded a grant to restore community rooms at the Quaker Meeting House on Victoria Terrace.


Aug 27, 2013

The building dates to 1865 and was originally built for the United Original Secession Church, as part of the Victoria Street development. In the 1960s it became known as Kirk House, and was used by the Boys Brigade, until it was converted into a Quaker Meeting House in 1987.

The category B listed building is a well used community facility, used as a meeting space for youth groups and grassroots organisations, and rehearsal rooms. It is also an important Fringe venue hosting a wide variety of acts each year.

The EWH grant of £32,400 will help to enable the replacement of decayed windows with a more appropriate and energy efficient design.

The building was designed in an Italian Gothic style, with a gallery or ‘loggia’ on the ground floor and finials on the gables. The windows form a crucial part of the architecture, being decorated with tracery, and intended to appear as simple openings rather than windows. The replacements will reflect that intention with slender frames hiding the window behind the stonework. As the windows will be inconspicuous, this also allows for slim-line double glazing to be fitted, enhancing the thermal performance of the building.



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital