Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

Young people help transform a hidden corner of the Old Town

Young people from Panmure St Ann’s Centre have helped establish a new garden at Trinity Apse.


Nov 14, 2013

The initiative is part of EWH’s Green Heritage project, and will see a storytelling garden created in the courtyard of Trinity Apse, a medieval relic hidden away down Chalmers Close in the Old Town. The courtyard has been neglected for many years, but the newly created garden will become an atmospheric venue for storytelling, looked after by the local community.

The garden design has been led by young people from the Panmure St Ann’s Centre, and at the end of last month a group of eight young women from the centre did the first planting on the site. At the moment there are tulip and daffodil bulbs as well as herbs, leeks, rose bushes, raspberries and climbers for the trellis and arbour. Further planting of fruits and vegetables will take place in the spring, making the garden almost entirely comprised of edible produce.

Young people from Panmure St Ann’s will also be attending horticultural training, biodiversity activities and storytelling workshops to gain the appropriate skills to maintain the garden themselves. At the end of November, a group will also be involved in stone conservation workshops, learning a little about the gothic architecture of the building on the way.  

The quirky history of Trinity Apse makes it an ideal location for storytelling. It was originally part of Trinity College Kirk, and was built around 1460. It was then taken down piece by piece in 1848 to make way for Waverley Station.

Each block of stone was carefully numbered and stored on Calton Hill. In the 1870s the apse was reconstructed in Chalmers Close in the Old Town as part of a new church, but in the 1960s this was demolished leaving behind just the medieval building.

This project is led by Edinburgh World Heritage with assistance from Bridgend Growing Communities and the City of Edinburgh Council. The project is funded by the Climate Challenge Fund, The Ernest Cook Trust, Brownlee Trust and Neighbourhood Partnership funding from the City of Edinburgh Council.



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital