Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

Archive Anecdotes

Snippets from the city's archives


May 7, 2014

 

Two hundred years ago, on 7 May 1814, George Heriot Swanston was born, the son of George Swanston who had married Margaret Heriot on 2 November 1807 at Canongate in Edinburgh.

A listing in the Edinburgh Post Office Directory reveals that, by 1850, George Heriot Swanston was an 'engraver, printer and lithographer' based in the New Town at number 1 South Saint David Street.


He became one of Scotland’s leading map engravers.  His engravings and vignettes illustrated many of the publications of Archibald Fullarton & Co. London, Edinburgh & Dublin. The illustration on the left credits him as compiler, in the 1860s, of ‘The Companion Atlas to the Gazetteer of the World' with:

'FORTY-THREE BEAUTIFULLY COLOURED MAPS: ENGRAVED IN THE FIRST STYLE OF ART ACCORDING TO THE LATEST AND MOST AUTHENTIC INFORMATION'

As might be expected, he often worked with the great Edinburgh mapmaker John Bartholomew. He and Bartholomew contributed to the ‘Royal Illustrated Atlas’, published in 1864, which contained,not only  coloured maps, but also fine illustrations of views and figures.

The extract below includes some of Swanston’s work in the Royal Illustrated Atlas, thought to be from an 1872 edition. 

 



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital