Edinburgh World Heritage - Search Results

 

Search Results

Young hands help out at St Mary’s

An EWH grant will help apprentices at St Mary’s workshop gain new skills and enhance the landscaping of the cathedral.


Jun 27, 2014

The apprentices from the St Mary’s Workshop will carve new stone edging for a path along the north side of the cathedral, linking Manor Place and Palmerston Place. The work is part of series of improvements enabling public access to the grounds, also grant-aided by EWH, and will also provide valuable training for the young apprentices.

The cathedral was designed by renowned architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, and built between 1874-1917. Its three spires form a key part of the city’s skyline, but the grounds of the cathedral are now the focus of a series of improvements.

A new grassed area has already been created in the north-west corner of the grounds, providing much needed public green space in this part of city. Entrances have been constructed, and a new retaining wall built to create a level lawn. A previous EWH grant enabled the refurbishment of the original cast-iron railings and reinstated a stone pillar at the West Door of the cathedral.

The project is relatively simple, but will provide excellent training for the apprentice stone masons at the St Mary’s Workshop. Formed in 1987, the workshop is recognised as an exemplar in the UK, with the aims of restoring the cathedral and promoting training in traditional building skills. The apprentices serve a four year apprenticeship and achieve a Scottish Vocational Qualification.

Work is due to start in the next few weeks and is expected to be completed in August.



‹ Return to List
 
Property Owner?

Get information on grants, read the property owners guide and access useful links.

City Visitor?

Explore the highlights of the World Heritage Site, follow walking trails and find out the stories behind Edinburgh's streets and buildings.

Teacher?

Visit our learning site to download lesson plans, browse resources and find out about our schools programme.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital