Edinburgh World Heritage - News Article

 

Archive Anecdotes

Snippets from the city's archives


Aug 2, 2016

Two hundred and fifty years ago, on 2 August 1766, the town council announced that, of six plans submitted for a New Town to the North, plan number 4 by Mr James Craig had been adjudged the best by the Lord Provost and Mr John Adam.

Craig (illustrated) was a young architect in his twenties who had entered a competition which had promised that 'The person whose plan shall be judged most proper, will receive as a reward of merit a gold medal , with an impression of the arms of the City of Edinburgh, and the freedom of the city in a silver box’.

A council committee was set up to discuss the detail of the plans with Craig and a year was to pass before the council ratified the final plan illustrated below. We will return to this story next year.

Sources: Edinburgh City Archives and A J Youngson’s  ‘The Making of Classical Edinburgh’. The portrait of James Craig in his later life is by David Allan.



‹ Return to List
 
Recent Projects

From the three year Twelve Monuments Project to the major restoration of Well Court.

Who We Are

EWH staff directory and biographies.

Support Us

Find out how you can help support our work.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital