Edinburgh World Heritage - Image Details

Advocate's Close

A view looking down an Old Town close.

Advocate's is just one of the many Old Town closes and wynds that still exist, a street pattern that dates back hundreds of years. The names of closes would change frequently over the years, and were often called after an important resident. Advocate's Close was named after Sir James Stewart of Goodtrees, who held the post of Lord Advocate from 1692 to 1713.

Download the resource (jpeg | 188KB)

 


© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

Website by Urwin Digital