Edinburgh World Heritage - The Tron Kirk

The Tron Kirk

Construction began on the kirk in 1633 and was completed 14 years later. The Kirk is named after the Salt Tron (the public beam for weighing goods) which was located nearby, at the centre of the High Street.

The Tron Kirk bell was a feature of city life, marking the important moments in the city day. Robert Fergusson though was not a fan, describing it as:

"Wanwordy, crazy, dinsome thing
As e'er was framed to jow and ring!"

‹ Return to Trail Map


© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

Website by Urwin Digital