The Grassmarket is one of the oldest parts of the city, and although the architecture has changed the layout of its open space retains its historic character.
It has always been a bustling market place, in the past with many taverns and inns for the drovers coming to sell their cattle. Today there are still a variety of pubs and independent shops to visit.
The White Hart Inn here is probably the oldest pub in Edinburgh, visited by the poet Robert Burns in 1791 and later by the poet Dorothy Wordsworth.
By the foot of Victoria Street is the recently restored Bow Well. Built in 1681, it was the first provider of piped of running water in Edinburgh.
The eastern part of the market was once the site of public executions, marked today by the Covenanter’s memorial.
Perhaps the most remarkable story connected with the place is the tale of Half-Hingit Maggie. After her hanging she miraculously came back to life and was allowed to go free. Look out for the pub named after her nearby.