What We Do
The mission of Edinburgh World Heritage, an independent charity, is to celebrate our World Heritage city by involving residents, businesses and visitors to deliver crucial social, environmental and economic benefits, ensuring that our future is as bright as our past.
Edinburgh World Heritage was created in 1999 by a merger of the Old Town Renewal Trust and the New Town Conservation Committee. The organisation is a charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered in Scotland No.SC195077. Scottish charity No. 037183.
The aims of Edinburgh World Heritage are to:
- Champion and represent the World Heritage Site and to monitor its state of conservation as required by UNESCO.
- Co-ordinate action, through the Management Plan, to protect and enhance the outstanding universal values of the World Heritage Site and to promote its harmonious adaptation to the needs of contemporary life.
- Conserve and enhance the historic fabric and historic environment of the World Heritage Site through a programme of financial assistance.
- Be exemplars in the field of conservation by developing and sharing specialist knowledge, setting standards for quality of workmanship, providing advice, promoting research and facilitating the conservation work of individuals and organisations.
- Build awareness of the World Heritage Site and to engender a sense of custodianship and secure long term support by promoting enjoyment, understanding and appreciation of its value and significance.