Edinburgh World Heritage - William Street

 

William Street

Thanks to the fund's from the City of Edinburgh Council’s Capital budget for street lighting improvements, traditional lighting columns have been installed on William Street and Alva Street. The new lighting is the product of the collaboration between different departments of the City of Edinburgh Council and Edinburgh World Heritage.

Together, the partners decided to choose the design of an ornamentally detailed cast iron column with a base plinth and a ladder rest plate below the lantern, where the year of installation can be presented. This choice of design has been informed by its historical content. Indeed, the design used in William and Alva Streets is a reproduction of a gas standard and lantern, which was drawn by William Burn in 1827.

The date matches the period of building of these two streets.

Several examples of this design have survived in the city of Edinburgh. Moreover, photographs and prints were found. All this evidence has enables creating a correct copy of the original lamps.

 
Property Owner?

Find out the latest on EWH projects and events.

Learning

Visit our learning site to download lesson plan, browse resources and find out about our schools programme.

Conservation

Find out how EWH conserves and manages the World Heritage Site.


 

© Edinburgh World Heritage. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Cookie Policy
5 Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DD. T: 0131 220 7720. E: info@ewht.org.uk
Registered in Scotland No.195077. Scottish charity No. SC037183

 

Website by Urwin Digital